Top 4 Tips For Your First Durango Whitewater Rafting Trip
As whitewater rafting season arrives in Colorado every spring, adrenaline junkies and vacationing families alike are traveling to Durango to experience the rush and exhilaration of whitewater rafting. This fun and exciting summer activity will have you on the tips of your toes as you brace for rushing rapids and paddle down the gorgeous Animas River. At Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours, our whitewater rafting experts understand that your first time rafting can be an intimidating experience, so we’ve compiled a list of tips for your first Durango rafting trip.
Durango Rafting Tip #1: Choose An Appropriate Trip For Your Group
Whether you’re planning a trip to Durango for a family vacation or a work outing, it’s important to choose an appropriate whitewater rafting trip for your group. Many whitewater rafting companies will offer half-day or full-day trips on the river, however the length of the trip you choose should depend on your schedule. Some considerations for choosing a rafting trip should include:
At Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours, we’re proud to be a leading provider of Durango rafting trips and adventure tours. Our most popular rafting trip is our 4-hour half day whitewater rafting excursion along the beautiful Animas River. When you join us for this family friendly adventure, our experienced rafting guides will take you on a scenic adventure of Durango where you can spot Colorado wildlife and swim in the river. With more than three hours of time on the water, this is one of the best activities to do in Durango. Sign up for our Durango rafting trip today!
Durango Rafting Tip #2: Wear The Right Attire
Once you’ve booked your Durango rafting trip, you may be wondering what type of clothes to wear on your rafting adventure. Below are some tips for choosing the appropriate rafting attire.
What Not To Wear On Your Durango Rafting Trip
- Avoid wearing shoes that can slip off of your feet in moving water. Leave your flip flops, Crocs™, and cowboy boots at home!
- Try not to bring any heavy clothing that will weigh you down in the river, such as jeans or sweats.
- Don’t wear any clothing that impedes your freedom of movement such as leather or formal wear.
- Take off any small personal items such as necklaces and other jewelry so as not to lose them on the river.
What To Wear On Your Durango Rafting Trip
- Bring your bathing suit. One of the best parts of a whitewater rafting trip is being able to swim and get wet!
- If possible, opt for quick-dry shorts or clothing made of synthetic fabrics for warmth and protection from the sun.
- Wear sturdy footwear that will not slide off and flow down the river. Some of the best rafting shoes are wetsuit boots and wet shoes.
- Windproof and waterproof pants and jackets are always encouraged on overcast days.
- Consider bringing a set of dry clothes and/or shoes to change into after the rafting trip.
- Baseball hats and sunglasses are always recommended.
While this should go without saying, you should always take heed of your rafting guide’s instructions throughout your trip. If you fail to pay attention to important safety details or guidelines, you could run the risk of falling out of the raft! It’s your rafting guides duty to ensure that you and the rest of the group are staying safe at all times, and no one wants to see a fellow paddler get injured due to a silly mistake.
At Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours, all of our whitewater rafting guides are specially trained and certified to lead our rafting tours. They’ve spent countless hours on the Animas River and have the skills and experience needed to navigate it safely in all weather conditions. If you’re looking for a fun and exhilarating two-hour Durango rafting trip, we offer a guided tour where you can experience the thrills of class III rapids. Book your Durango rafting trip online today!
Durango Rafting Tip #4: Don’t Forget The Sunscreen!
While Durango rafting trips boasts stunning and scenic views of Colorado, they also boast consistent summer sunshine. To ensure you don’t go home looking like a lobster, make sure you pack plenty of sunscreen for your whitewater rafting adventure! The higher the SPF the better and always remember to reapply your sunscreen after a few hours, especially if you plan on swimming.
Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours is your go-to company for safe and exciting Durango adventures. Whether you’re interested in joining us for one of our infamous rafting tours, 4×4 tours, or to take a tour of Mesa Verde National Park, we can accommodate all of your thrill-seeking needs.