Go whitewater rafting in Durango Colorado through Class I, II & III rapids! The Animas River flows right through Durango. This is a great chance to raft on the river. This trip is great for families and you can choose between our Splash & Dash or Half Day trips!
Raft Guide School
- Guide School 1-May 14th 2023
- Guide School 2-June 4th 2023
RAFT GUIDE SCHOOL
This class is only intended for people who are interested in employment
As one of the first companies rafting in Durango, Colorado we know a thing or two about rafting. Additionally, our customers have ranked us #1 on Google. We hope you consider Durango Rivertrippers & Adventure Tours, Flexible Flyers Raft & Jeep, and 4 Corners Whitewater for your future raft guide school. As of 2021, we are 3 local companies in one. If you are looking for an adventurous, exciting, and fast-paced skill then look no further. Becoming a state-certified raft guide is a highly rewarding skill where you get to be outside, stay in shape, work with awesome people, and gain important lifelong river knowledge and leadership skills. The rivers Durango Rivertrippers LLC operates on are the Upper & Lower Animas, Dolores, San Miguel, West Water (Colorado River Moab, UT), Moab Daily, Ruby Horsethief, Rio Chama, and the Piedra. We are in 3 states with daily runs and multiday options. Our raft guides learn multiple rivers and how to do multiday rafting.
During our guide school, you will receive a minimum of 50 hours of training. We run this course in 6+1 (the last day is reserved for future employees/guides of Rivertrippers) days and focus on you. We do not waste your time and labor helping set up the company but instead ensure your training is dedicated to the fundamentals of learning to raft and ending with a certificate confirming your certification as a raft guide. We are also offering a multiday “add-on” option if you want to expand your skills beyond the 50 hours.
Your training will include how to rig and de-rig boats, paddle guide and/or oar guide, how to read water, white water swimming, rope rescue, and much more. Our graduates will receive a river guide certificate/log certifying them as raft guides within the State of Colorado. This is a lifelong skill that you will certainly enjoy having. The best part is if you want to work as a guide in the area, we are hiring! Although there is no guarantee of employment after guide school we are looking for raft guides. During the class, we will ensure you have the correct gear as well. You will have access at NO EXTRA CHARGE to use the following: Wetsuit, PFD (aka type 5 life jacket), River shoes, Helmet, and Drybag. All you need to do is show up to the class and we have you covered.
- Starting Pay is 15$ per hour
- Part-time and full-time options available with flexible schedule options
- Access to pro deals with over 150 brands including NRS
- If hired as a raft guide you will receive $100 back as a bonus. You just need to be available to work until August 20th, 2023. After August 20th, 2023 you will get back $100
- Invites on multiday rafting trips (if available) at our cost
- Bi-Weekly boat barn parties with free food and beverages
- Use of company gear/rental program
- Friends and family discounts up to 30%
- Free training such as 4×4/Jeep guide, Mesa Verde guide, CDL Driver, and More
- Paid Sick time accrual
Every day of guide school we will meet at our River Office at 360 S. Camino Del Rio Durango Colorado 81301. We recommend bringing lunch, snacks, and lots of water. Bring extra layers and dry clothes for after each day, the weather can change very quickly and does get cold fast.
Schedule for the week (subject to change)
Note: Job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other duties established to meet the ongoing needs of the business. Durango Rivertrippers LLC and DBA’s is an “at-will” employer.
Durango Rivertrippers LLC and DBA’s is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status or status as a U.S. Veteran.
Here is a link to our employment page for all inquiries. https://www.durangorivertrippers.com/employment/
- Arrive in the morning, get to meet everyone, and go over introductions and expectations for the week.
- Gear check out for the week. This includes lifejackets aka PFD, throw bags, river shoes and wetsuits (if needed), a dry bag, and a helmet.
- Go over equipment from rafts to trailers.
- Rigging and derigging both rafts and trailers
- Break for lunch
- In the afternoon we will get on the water!
- For the next few days, we will go over the Safety orientation/speech
- One day will be dedicated to Flip training.
- Another day is dedicated to Swim training
- Afternoons will be for hot laps!
- On the final day of guide school, we will be doing our check-out runs through the white water park.
- After day 6 you will have accumulated the state-required 50 hours of training to be a Colorado State certified guide.
- There are no make-up days for guide school. Make sure you are on time and ready to go each day.
- Dedicated for future employees only