Go whitewater rafting through our National Kayak Course through Class I, II & III rapids! This trip is great for families and you can choose between our Splash & Dash or Half Day trips!
- Guests Recommended Ages 10+
Private Tour of Mesa Verde With an Archeologist Trained Guide
With plenty of mesa-top ruins to visit, panoramic views of the large cliff dwellings and open hiking trails, there is a lot to see and experience at Mesa Verde National Park! Come join us on one of our private tours that will immerse you into a time full of mystery and intrigue in a place of breath-taking beauty.
Our customizable private tour will allow you to determine your own priorities and depending on your preferences, you can spend more time at the scenic overlooks for spectacular views and photo ops. Just let us know what you prefer from some of the choices below.
- Entertainment/Sightseeing/Chauffeur service
- Recreation – including walking, hiking trails, and exploring
- Taking photographs
- An educational experience
- Combination of all of the above
Why a Private Tour?
For starters, we are the only company offering tours with archaeologist-trained guides. Preparation for your guided tour begins long before the tour starts. There are a lot of behind-the-scenes initiatives and activities carried out by the tour guide. Your guide is an archaeologist-trained subject matter expert requiring considerable training, education, research, and content knowledge on multiple topics with the ability to effectively communicate it to the guest. Along with intimate knowledge of the sites and resources, your guide possesses the communication skills, public speaking, and storytelling abilities to provide an enjoyable and memorable experience.
Provisions of the Private Tour:
- All aspects of the tour are customizable!
- Customized itinerary based on priority preferences – sightseeing, photos, education, etc.
- Wetherill Mesa and Step House (if requested) – tour a cliff dwelling with your guide (May 29th – Oct 23rd, 2021)
- Exclusivity – just your group; no one else
- Limited size of groups to ensure that guest to guide ratio is low
- Flexibility in start time and tour length (up to 7.5 hours) example: start at 9:00 am vs 8:00 am
- Pick up at your location (within a 5-mile radius)
- Flexibility in lunch/snack requests (soda, tea, gluten-free snacks, salad, etc.)
- Providing a round trip chauffeur service from Durango
- Flexibility in last-minute changes. (Example: Can we do Mesa Verde instead of Canyon of the Ancients)
- Concierge-type role with recommendations for local restaurants and other attractions/activities
- A private tour will include just you and your party
- Tour includes archeological sites
- Ages: Best suited for ages 10+
- Duration: Up to 7½ hours (if leaving from Durango)
- Appropriate clothing, Colorado’s weather can be unpredictable, so it is ideal to wear extra layers!
- Comfortable but sturdy footwear
- Sunscreen, Hat, Sunglasses
- Be prepared for weather changes and temperature fluctuations. It is best to dress in layers for cool mornings and hot afternoons (with possible afternoon thundershowers mid-summer)
- Comfortable but sturdy shoes
- A hat and sunglasses
- Unless other arrangements have been made, the check-in point to meet your guide is at 724 Main Ave, Durango, CO 81301
- Arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time
- A waiver of liability/emergency contact form will need to be completed either on-line prior to departure or a hard copy completed prior to departure at the pick-up location
From the Durango Rivertrippers Team we want to thank our first responders, pharmacists, doctors, nurses, and all of the essential employees who are helping fight the spread of COVID-19.
Our commitment to safety for both our guests and staff is our number one priority. We will be making some changes to keep that commitment during COVID-19. All of our trips can and will be modified as needed, in an effort to keep everyone as healthy and safe as possible. We will be limiting the number of guests on each trip to keep our social distance. After each trip in a vehicle or raft we will sanitize high touch points before the next use. We will have disinfectant wipes or hand sanitizer available for all guests.
Changes moving forward
- We will be limiting the number of guests on each raft and vehicle
- Cleaning and disinfecting highly trafficked surfaces multiple times every day
- Providing sanitizer or disinfectant wipes for our guests
- Encouraging private trips to continue social distancing
- We will continue to follow our local Health Department for specific updates